A case of food poisoning affecting two families in the village of Sajapur during March 2003 highlighted once again the ability of the Clinic to react positively and rapidly to a major incident that would almost certainly have led to loss of life. Clinic doctors and a nurse rushed to the village on hearing reports and brought 10 sick patients on a tractor-trailer back to the Clinic. Two were in serious condition and unconscious. All were put on saline drips and antibiotic treatment and rested in cleared areas of the Clinic reception. The entire staff worked throughout the night so that by the following afternoon many of the patients were sufficiently recovered to go home. The clinic also pays for emergency treatment following wild animal attacks and accidents in the home/fields. Again these costs are paid for from an Emergency Fund held in reserve for such incidents.

Broken jaw - Early one morning a rogue elephant from the Chitwan National Park came into the village and began marauding for food. One of the houses ‘chosen’ belonged to Mitu Limbu Raut the sister of Monesh, one of our loyal and trusted clinic helpers. The elephant caused considerable damage to her property (constructed of elephant grass and mud structure) and Mitu was attacked and trampled whilst trying to escape with her two children. She suffered horrific injuries, including many lacerations, a complicated fracture of her lower jaw, fractured orbital arch (eye socket), and problems with breathing. After emergency lifesaving at the clinic, she was taken to Bharatpur Hospital, for further treatment and stabilisation this included a tracheotomy and some fracture wiring. A decision was made at that time to transfer her to a hospital in Kathmandu, to undergo further surgery to implant a prosthetic jaw. This treatment is expensive and the prosthesis would have to be sourced from India. The estimated cost would be in the region of £1300. Being subsistence farmers, the money was not available, so Hari contacted us to see if the clinic could pay. After further investigation into the circumstances, and talking to the hospital, an emergency meeting was called of the committee, to canvas their opinions. The money was made available. An operation to craft and insert a titanium prosthesis was carried out, soon after funding was arranged. Some nerve damage appears to have occurred on one side causing muscle immobility. However Mitu is receiving some physiotherapy treatment and instruction for self-help from one of the volunteer physiotherapists (Ms Dorit Schultz from Leipzig, Germany) in the hope of some long-term improvement.

Cancer - Chunmaya has recommended Kevin Shore to see a young cancer patient, Rita Mahoto, (20 years old) who is a neighbour of Sita Kumal, Khem's sister and their family. He saw this young lady with Chunmaya and an interpreter, with 5 female relative. She was shy and retiring and wore a traditional Nepalese dress, with a headscarf covering her head, due to the loss of her hair from the chemotherapy treatment she has received. She did not talk throughout the whole 'interview' just intently listening; Kevin felt that she was embarrassed and overawed by the whole situation. They live in a typical Tharu house (two up two down), and own little land as the majority has been sold of to fund the treatment of Rita. They are a poor family and 'live a hand to mouth existence' and for each other. She is 7 months pregnant and she should have had the baby terminated when she was first diagnosed, however the Dr's at Bharatpur, for some reason 'kept the baby' when they operated (aspirated the ovarian cyst), knowing that if it was cancer, she would have to undergo chemotherapy if the results were positive. The clinic agreed to pay all the costs for her Chemotherapy, vitamin injections and delivery of child in a specialist hospital at Bharatpur.
PS. A healthy boy was born at the beginning of April 2012, Rita asked that Peter Shore name her son. His name is Aryan (means: King or Gate of Heaven)

Infection - Laxmi Arayal was a four-year-old girl weighing only 11kg (24.2lbs) who was brought into the clinic by her mother. She complained that her daughter had an uncontrollable high temperature and diarrhoea for the past three days, a distended abdomen, jaundiced and being ‘limp and lifeless’. She was ‘admitted’ to the clinic for observation, IVI fluids and IV drugs. Her condition worsened, so she was taken to the hospital in Bharatpur Hospital, where she underwent further investigations and was diagnosed with hepatic-splenomegaly (Enlarged liver and spleen -? cause). She was given antibiotics, a blood transfusion, and numerous tests. Her temperature finally returned to normal and her parents took her home after 4 days in hospital and remained an outpatient at the clinic, being visited by the district nurse 3 – 4 times a day. She fully recovered. All costs of treatment, transportation,food and accommodation for the parents were born by the clinic.